History of Chirk Mill
Dating back to the 1300’s
1300 and 1400
The mill in Chirk is first mentioned in the History of Chirklands from 1331 with its repair recorded in 1495.
1495 recorded as being used as a corn mill.
1500 and 1600
The new mill in 1506 was built.
1669 3 millstones were purchased from Thomas Chamberlain of Tetnell to grind wheat.
1683/4 2 millstones were purchased from Robert Gregory of Barlow.
1699 2 millstones were purchased from John Twendon of Mowcap.
1700 and 1800
1706 there was a serious flood damaging the mill .
The repairs and rebuilding in 1780 could have been down to the flood in 1706 and could have been the reason for the relocating of the weir and the race.
The rebuild in 1780 used dressed stone from Valley Crucis Abbey in Llangollen and timbers from ships.
A three storey extension was erected adjoining the right hand side of the main mill.
1900
The castle estate owned Chirk Mill until 1911.
1924 the mill was fitted with a turbine to generate power for the town.
The current owner’s great uncle and grandfather father took over the milling in Chirk Mill about 1937.
The house adjacent to the mill at the back burnt down in the late 1930s before it was demolished in the 1960s.
Milling continued into the 1960s of milling of whiting, a process involving the grinding of limestone for whitewash or fertiliser.
The subsequent years saw the mill repurposed to manufacture glue.
2000
This is timeline description. Please click here to change this description.